Sunday, November 2, 2008

i need help!


So I need some suggestions for keeping kids quiet during church. I'm going nuts, both Stu and I actually; our bench was a circus today, and it's been getting worse every week! We bring different things every time, sometimes a snack, sometimes no snack...I'm running out of ideas. And that's where you come in - please tell me what works for you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have children, but my SIL practices "sit time" at home. That way the children realize there are times to sit and be quiet - and they can practice it so that it's not just required of them once a week. Hope that helps!! I'm a friend of Kristy's (went to Corbett High) and yes a stalker : )

Anonymous said...

your BLOG stalker haha!

Kari said...

I'm no help. I'm in the hall more than I'd like to admit.

kathryn said...

take your kids to church every sunday and constantly remind them of the need to stay quiet during sacrament meeting. wait 5 - 7 years. that should do the trick.

Loughmiller's said...

I actually had this topic to speak on at Church. I am also in the hall a lot. I find once the kids turn 4 they do pretty good in church. 1 1/2-3 is the hardest years. Nothing works for us. Just time.

Alicia said...

I also believe that it just takes time. I'm in the hall plenty with mine. However, for us I've found that the fewer toys/snacks we bring, the better we do. Especially when there's more than one kid (think wrestling matches over cars and Cheerios). For Orion, a pen and paper usually fill up a lot of the time. For Paige, it's different every time.

Kelli said...

One thing we've always done with Larissa is we don't her down in the hall. We actually don't even let her go in the hall. If we have to take her out, we go straight to an empty classroom, make her sit on a chair until she's ready to behave and then she gets to go back into sacrament meeting. We were out alot in the beginning but we rarely have to take her out now. She figured out quickly that it was more fun to be quiet in sacrament with her few toys and books than it was in the empty classroom! Good luck!