Saturday, September 8, 2007

hiking adventure

On Labor Day we had another family excursion, this time hiking around Opal Creek. We went up to Cascada de los Ninos; it was about 1-1/2 miles each way. It seemed like we had only gotten about a quarter of a mile after 2 hours because of the several stops with the kids - we had 6 there with us. So it was a laid back hike, but fun nonetheless. We stopped for lunch along the way, potty breaks, and of course there was time to stop and find the perfect stick or rock! Carter walked almost the whole way, getting a little break in Eleanor's stroller. He had to keep up with his 2 older cousins, Isaac and Daniel!

A caterpiller the boys found along the way. I can't believe that Carter is actually holding this, he's usually afraid of insects, but I guess it was ok since Daniel had a turn before him.

Isaac and Daniel resting

We explored some old mining equipment that was up there:
Caleb having fun



And the falls:



Stu and Carts way up there! Carter would not get off this rock for the longest time, he was probably trying to warm up after taking a few dips in the freezing water.


Yes, this is Addie sleeping on the rocks! She fell asleep in my arms, so I made a little bed for her out of the front pack and she slept there for about 30 minutes! And yes, I know I'm lucky to have a baby that will sleep anywhere...I love this girl!

The boys all taking turns in the water

These are the older boys running on the way back, the motivation being chocolate cake waiting back at the car, notice Carter is in the front!

Addie was looking too cute, as usual!

Grandma & Grandpa Matthews

1 comments:

Kari said...

It looks like a beautiful day for a hike. Glad you guys had fun. And, Addie is an angel baby!