Sunday, April 26, 2009

no joke

...this is an actual conversation I had with an Albertson's checker on Friday night. I think she works the late shift for a reason.

Someone's phone rings, she stops mid-scan and looks around as if following a bug flying around her head.
Checker: There's a few phones ringing, I wanna answer it but I don't know which way to go and it's kinda freakin' me out!
Me: Nod (in my head: ok, it's just one phone lady.)
Checker: (continuing to look around all freaked out) It's like when the phone wakes you up in the middle of the night, and you don't get to answer it. Then you go back to sleep and have the dream where all your teeth fall out. You ever have that dream?
Me: Can't say as I have. (ok, crazy lady)
Checker: Yeah, I had that dream, and my teeth were all just crumbling out of my mouth. I had it interpreted, the lady said it means I have a loss of control somewhere in my life.
Me: (yeah, like your mind)
Checker: You know, cuz you can't really control your teeth falling out.
Me: right
Long awkward pause
Checker: I just interpreted that I needed to get my teeth cleaned.
Me: So that's what you did?
Checker: Yep. And my nothin's wrong with them.
Me: That's good.
We finish the transaction, and right before I walk off:
Checker: Just so you know, my teeth aren't really going to fall out! Laugh
Me: That's good. (yeah, I'm really worried about your teeth)

7 comments:

Kari said...

wow. That was, well, unbelieveable. ;)

5Youngers said...

ummmmm....hmmmmm...ummmmm....WOW!!!!

Katie said...

So dang funny! What an entertaining grocery store experience.....at least you got a great story for the blog out of it.
You should go back and see what she does next time.

Friesslings said...

So what store was that? People are just so interesting at times huh?

Holbrook's said...

You should have said "sometimes I get so scared...(laugh hysterically)...that I don't know what to do...(more laughing)...So I ran into the wall!!!

Kristy said...

oh. my. gosh! hahaha!

Brittany said...

I agree that the late shift at grocery stores (especially Wal-mart) are quite the crew. And I love your inner monologue notes.

This story reminds me of the parents of one of my four-year-old students. Last week they voluntarily went to an oral surgeon to remove all of their teeth. Dentures were their perfectly suitable solution for hitting their mid-30s, for her and mid-40s, for him.