Last week at this time Stuart and I were in Gillette. I decided to go on the trip with him, and we had a great time on the road. It's about a 16 hour drive from Hillsboro. He was in some testing and interviews all day Monday, so I drove around the town hoping to catch all the highlights from my last post.
Rally events - not in town last weekend :(
Antelope - check
The big rock (Devil's Tower, which is quite famous I guess) - not actually in Gillette, just a little drive down the highway
American flags - check
Rock Museum - check
Nice weather - check, it was in the 80s
Dashing real estate agent - won't be needing him for awhile
Some other things we noticed - everyone drives a diesel truck, and that's pretty much all that are in the car lots. Also, backing into parking spots is almost a must when driving a truck. Is that normal for all truck drivers, or just WY ones? Guys with long beards and/or mullets are quite prominent, as are overalls and cowboy boots. I have to say though, we stopped in at the Boot Barn, and I wanted a few pairs of boots for myself. We settled on some big-buckled, leather belts for the kids - pictures to come. And we saw this symbol everywhere.
So, what you've all been waiting for.........Stuart got the job! We are definitely moving to Gillette, probably at the beginning of next year. (If you're a piano student's parent reading this, I'll be sending an email to you this week about lessons.) Stuart has 3 months of training in a different city, so will be going there by himself, most likely in December, then we'll join him in WY in March. That's the plan thus far at least! Things are a little up in the air as far as dates. And we still have to sell our house, so tell everyone you know who's looking to move.
With all my joking about the small little town, it does look like a nice place to live. It will just be totally different from Hillsboro. I'll have to get used to buying everything at Walmart, the Boot Barn or online (shouldn't be too hard for me on that last one), and paying more for groceries since nothing can grow in that part of the country. I'll definitely miss farmer's markets. We'll be at a higher elevation, and in a lot drier climate too. But it should be an adventure!
P.S. We will only be a couple hours away from Mt. Rushmore. So if you've ever wanted to see that, now's the time to plan a trip and visit us! I know we'll be missing everyone, so do it!
P.P.S. Stuart is getting quite a lot of concern/doubts as to whether I can survive in such a rural area. Please people, while I may enjoy my city-life, take a look at where I grew up for part of my teenage years. Elmira, ID - yeah, it's a road. One road. I think I can handle Gillette.
Monday, October 11, 2010
results are in - (be sure to see the p.s.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
The town totally reminds me of that movie, "Did you Hear about the Morgans"!!! have you seen it?
It'll be a fun new adventure! & you could totally rock some cowboy boots! I am loving cowboy boots right now!
I knew he'd get the job. I'd like to say congratulations, but really I'm a little sad. Still, it will be an adventure!
congrats!! A new adventure, and new chapter in life...watch out your little ones may end up in the rodeo if you stay long!! Devils tower is awesome!!! Check out keyhole state park for some great boating/camping/swimming.
oh care...I'm already excited to come visit you and have a lady's shopping adventure at the Boot Barn.
I'm excited for your family.
Congrats! That is so exciting for you guys :)
How fun, I'm so excited to hear about your adventures living in WY!
I'm happy for you, but so sad for us! You'll have to visit us when you come back to Oregon once in a while. We'll also try to plan a trip out to see you!
That is great news! You have such a good attitude!
Congratulations!! I'm a little sad because we'll miss you so much, but we are so happy for you and your new adventure.
Congrats to both of you...this will be an exciting move! If you need somewhere to stay on your way out to Wyoming, let us know. We are right on the way and our door is always open. And if you ever visit Yellowstone, we could totally meet up!
Next summer we are totally road tripping out to you! I am serious. Plan on it!
Im sad for you but happy too. It will be a fun adventure! You amaze me with such a great attitude!
For those of you who were wondering, don't worry...Carter & Addie will be staying right here in Oregon. Mommy & Daddy can come & visit whenever they like:).
I am excited for you guys! Congrats!!
Post a Comment