I have about 10 pictures of this pose because everytime Carter holds Adelynn he makes me take a picture. He must think he's cute or something!
So some of you know that Carter is one of the most rambunctious kids that ever lived. I realize that all 2-3 year olds are like this to some degree, but Carter really is a step above! He has never-ending energy and a mind of his own. I've been trying to find activities this summer to keep him busy, mostly because it gives me a little break. So I decided to try storytime at the Salem Library (it's every Tuesday at 10:30, and a lot of fun for those of you who want to check it out). Well, Carter has decided he doesn't like storytime, and today we left early. This is after he told me several times "I don't like stories, I want to go home" in a not-so-quiet voice. He continued being totally bored with the library, except for the rocking horse. When I told him it was time to get off and go home, of course there was a fit. So here I am, with Adelynn in the sling, carrying the book bag in one hand, and literally dragging Carter by the other through the library. How and why do kids learn either the stiff-back maneuver, or the limp-body one? Carter usually chooses the limp-body, so his legs suddenly go out underneath him and I'm left dragging him by the arm...it's great. I'm sure if I saw myself on video I would totally laugh (as I'm sure other people around me are doing), but when you're in the thick of it, it's a different story. Thus ends the trips to the library without Stuart to help! And don't think I've given up after the first time...this is the 4th time I've tried by myself to take him, resulting in about the same situation everytime.
It's on these type of days, when I'm the most frustrated with him, that he decides to remind me what a blessing it is to have children. He always seems to choose "I Am a Child of God" to sing at naptime on these days - this is one of his favorite songs from church. And it's a good reminder for me of the responsibility Heavenly Father has given me, that it's really His child I'm taking care of. And it reminds me that I need more patience in dealing with this rambunctious little toddler who is soaking everything in.
In other news, Adelynn is becoming an expert on rolling over! It seems that she's doing things so fast, and time is flying by! She rolls over at least once a day now. I guess she's just trying to catch up to her big brother! She has also successfully moved from the bassinet to the crib, sharing a room with Carter now. She's slept all through the night for 2 nights there, waking up around 6:30. Works for me!
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I can completely empathize with you on the rambunctious toddler thing. Maggie has a mind all her own and a steel will, and LOVES to do the limp noodle trick all the time. I'm going to have more patience than Job by the time I'm done raising her.
I love how Carter's always holding Adelynn in the pictures!! 2-3 can be such a hard age...sometimes they're the biggest stinkers and than they do/say the sweetest things that melt your heart. If you can just get through the stinker moments!
I'm glad Adelynn's sleeping well, and hope the adjustment into sharing a room goes better than it has for me!
I liked you question about the stiff back or limp body technique. I was watching a documentary on Non-violent protest, and the leaders of the movement were showing the demonstrators the limp body thing, as it make for more police needed to haul you off to jail, takes longer, is non-violent, looks pathetic, ect. Now thinking about this, I know that whoever decided to do this must have had a toddler, and was simply re-introducing a plan that comes naturally to all 2 year olds.--Carrie
I'm so not looking forward to those days. I'm sure Audrey will use all those techniques of getting her way. Joys. At least we know it's universal and all kids do it. Hang in there!
oh yes i do know those moments! my carter is only 17mos and he already does the limp body moneuver! ahhhh!!! it makes going out in public so much fun! HA!
then of course he always does something cute to make my heart melt. like blow me a kiss or something of the sort! the lil stinkers! they so know what they are doing!!! ;)
hang in there mama!
Post a Comment